Thursday, October 29, 2009

Disappointing day

Had a heated discussion today with the Head Teacher of one of the school. Was really disappointed with his attitude and demands. He was asking us about financial incentives for the school or teachers to compensate them for the time spent assisting us in the project. He said that his teachers complained to him that they had to spent their own money to go for the opening ceremony of the project and that there was no food only light refreshments provided. He went on to say that if this continues, the teachers might not be so willing to cooperate and the project will end in failure. He feels we are not being fair to the school or the teachers! What a load of bullshit!

This is not the first time he had brought up the issue of money. Every time we go to the school, he will never fail to bring it up. I seriously had enough of it. I have repeatedly explained to him that we are having problems finding sponsors. If we can reimburse the school or teacher for the time or personal money spent, we will but until we get money in, there's nothing we can do about it. But this man doesn't seem to trust us and was persistent in badgering us to do something about it. And so let my emotions got the better of me and went into a heated discussion with the Head Teacher. I have to admit there was a period during the discussion when I was struggling really badly to control my anger. So much so that I had to stop myself from speaking.

In hindsight I really should have controlled myself better. It was unprofessional of me to did what i did. But the thought that we spent so much time and effort to run this project in a faraway place because we care about the issue and this is the kind of appreciation we are getting is really upsetting. 

To be honest, after today, even if the project have the money, I would not spend it on the school or teachers. Every single cent that we have raised so far and is continuing trying to raise should be spend on the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment