Friday, October 23, 2009

First class

This ASK project officially starts this week! The first and second class was done yesterday by Hannah and Eric. Went to observe their lesson and to ensure that everything went smoothly since Tomoki and I were the main point of contact between the schools and the ASK team. Had my first class this morning and another in the afternoon. It is exhausting having to stand in front of a class for an hour and teach about HIV/AIDS. But at the same time it was fun too! The kids here are unlike Singapore students. Here they enjoy participation and if you ask a question, generally you can find people willing to raise their hands to answer it unlike in Singapore. Having said that, I find myself being very careful with my choice of words as I wasn't sure of their English standards. Having been here for a while, I'm beginning to find that the older generations generally speaks better English than the younger ones. Hope that is a wrong assessment and that things are actually better than I thought. Anyway back to the classes, some of the questions asked by the students were really challenging and I find myself unsure of the answers. So I guess I better read up more on the topic!! And to all my teacher friends out there, you guys rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment