Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Arrived
Finally have internet access! Quite a bit of things to blog about. Let's talk about the travelling first. I arrived Accra at around 11.30am (7.00pm SIN) and was met by a local AIESEC member, Rasheed who sent me to the bus terminal to catch a bus to Kumasi. A interesting thing about travelling in Ghana is that buses travelling between cities will only leave when the bus is full. So the unlucky me had to wait for an hour or so after I got my ticket for the bus to depart the terminal. Heard from another intern that he once waited for 2 hours! Anyway I arrived at Kumasi at around 8plus pm local time which is around 4plus am Singapore time, Monday. So considering I left Singapore at around 1am on Sunday, the total time spent on travelling was approximately 25 hours of which I estimate around 80% of the time was spent on my bum. Quite amazed I didn't get DVT from sitting down for so long. Anyway when I arrived in Kumasi, while I was waiting for the person picking me up to arrive, a lecturer teaching in the nearby university came up to me and offered to wait with me. He wanted to ensure that there was someone coming which was very nice of him! Even if he had not accompanied me, I did not at any point in time felt threatened. The locals were curious about me but pretty much left me alone except for the taxi drivers. But that would have happened in most other countries too. Anyway I was quite hungry after I arrived and I got my first taste of Ghanaian food. Banku is maize pounded and cooked till it reaches a gooey sticky form. It is then served with stew which is very much like curry and eaten with hands. Am regretting not bringing a set of utenils with me now. Anyway I shall blog more about Ghanaian food some other day. But that pretty much summed up my first day in Ghana.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment