Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The house

The house that I'm currently staying in would be considered primitive by Singapore standards but I think its adequate to live in. The water flows are irregular but we have a big tub to store water for bathing purposes though there is no hot water. So it can get quite cold if you bathe too late. Electricity is paid for through a pre-paid card and on the night I arrived, the credit just so happens to drop to zero without anyone realising. But somehow one of them managed to keep the lights on. Perhaps what most people would be interested or concerned about would be the toilet. To be honest I was slightly taken aback when I saw the toilet. It reminds me of my army days in taiwan. The plumbing cannot take toilet paper so we have to throw used toilet papers into a wastepaper basket by the side of it. So the sight can initially be shocking. As one of my fellow housemate a Ghanaian said after I have taken my first bath on the night of arrival, 'this place is challenging your world view.' But things are the way it is here and I just have to get used to it. As I have mentioned to some of you, in jest maybe, that my worst fear is to have no access to washing machine and that nightmare has come true. There is no washing machine here. I tried my hand on washing clothes yesterday and boy, it's not something I'm looking forward to doing for the next few months. If the toilet didn't made me think what the heck had I gotten myself into, the washing of clothes certainly did. Just collected the clothes from the laundry line and I'm still not sure it's clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment