Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Why this internship and why Africa?

I've been asked these questions at almost every farewell or gathering that I've attend so far. So I shall answer them here. It's gonna be a pretty long post so do bear with me.

Why this volunteer/exchange/internship? Even though I graduated with a finance related degree, I never much wanted to work in the industry. I always feel the industry it is making money for the sake of making money. The financial crisis pretty much solidify my viewpoint. So when it came to looking for a job towards the end of last year, I wasn't sure what to do. I thought to myself, what exactly it is that I want? People who knows me knows I love reading. And I guess the more you read about the world, the more you realise that there are many people in the world that needs our help. If I can make a career out of helping people, why not? After all, I would be getting the best of both worlds. I can make a living while at the same time do some good. So I thought this internship would serve me well. I can test my resolve to make a career out of helping people, experience for myself how it is like to be working for a NGO. It might even open doors for me in this industry. And if it doesn't work out in the end, the internship will be a fantastic addition to my resume.

So the next question is why Africa? After I decided to go for this internship, it was always clear to me that it's gonna be choosing between going to South America or Africa. I guess the exotic factor in these two places trump the rest of the world. So why Africa? In the application questionnaire for this internship, there's a similar question. Part of my answer is as follows, "Africa intrigues me. It is a land of contrast. A continent with breathtaking sceneries, abundant natural resources, yet mired in poverty and conflicts." That's the common perception people have of Africa, of the wildlife, poverty, HIV/AIDS, crime etc. I believe there's more to the place and I want to find out for myself. There's just some inexplicable mystery over Africa that interests me. I want to see Africa for myself. And I'm not coming back till I see the lions, elephants, rhinos, crocs and so on! :) Just kidding!

But having said it all, the most important reason was to challenge myself. Push myself out of my own comfort zone. I've been too comfortable for too long. Can't see myself achieving anything worthwhile should I continue on this way. So the harder the challenge, the better it is.

So there you have it! The answers.

3 comments:

  1. Hey lil'bro! After reading this post I realized you ain't that lil' anymore =) Well, I must admit it's difficult to see you walk through the customs the other night...kinda out of MY comfort zone because you have always been close to home...

    However, I want you to know that I am very proud of you for deciding to go Ghana, a country that we know almost nothing about (except that it is in Africa..and oh yes Michael Essien??) and willing to work for free in the HIV/AIDS organisation. Way to go brother!

    Do not start to think about your comfy bed or question why God created mozzies! Instead, in the day remember to look around you at the vast landscape and its people..then look up into the night sky and marvel at the sparkling constellations and thank God for this wonderful experience =)

    Sending you lots of love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Didn't realise that I have readers outside of my close friends and family. Thank you for the comments. So what kind of work do you do in the CDC?

    ReplyDelete